Springtime provides the perfect backdrop for visitors, when snowdrops, daffodils, aconites and hellebores provide washes of colour in the grass and under our growing collection of winter flowering shrubs in the East Garden. In the Courtyard Garden the layout of herbaceous beds can be appreciated before the profusion of summer: the best viewing being from the Long Gallery. This year visitors will be able to walk through the walled orchard and out into the back park. From there they can take the path through the cleared wood. Along the way there is a strong colony of native tulips (Tulipa sylvestris). There are more tulips in the wood, which have yet to flower, but hopes are high that with the increased light levels, they will do very soon. Bluebells and snowdrops have been introduced and over time who knows what delights will emerge from the undergrowth, having lain dormant for many years.
History of the Gardens
The Grade II listed Courtyard garden was laid out in the 1870’s and retains its original design. It was planted with hybrid tea roses and box hedges which were filled with brilliantly coloured bedding. The big East Garden was a formal garden in the 17th century and this was when the garden wall and gazebo were built (1628). In the the Georgian period the south section of the wall was demolished to create parkland around the side of the house. After the 1st World War the East Garden was abandoned, but reclaimed since 1970 with formal yews and shrub borders that change with the seasons.